Here are my – beat a cold – advice at the first symptoms of a cold
Many of you are coming in complaining of an irritating cold and cough. It is that time of year…
Here are some very simple cold recommendations, that HAVE worked for me.
Very recently, I awoke with all the symptoms of a cold coming on, sore throat, voice breaking, nasty sinus congestion. It was really important that I could use my voice that evening so I needed to give my body a helping hand if I could. The 2 main things I did:
- I didn’t eat solid food – It takes effort for your body to breakdown food and I didn’t want my body (immune system) distracted from eliminating the foreign invader. Vegetable juice or warm broth would be fine.
- I drank copious amounts of lemon & ginger tea (here’s ‘how to’)
- Salt water gargle(i)
I was amazed as by the evening I had none of the symptoms I was suffering from in the morning. Give it a go – it worked really well for me.
Cough syrup recipe
Cough syrups are full of sugar (which lower your immune system) plus, they don’t appear to do the job. Here is a recipe for a natural cough syrup; a combination of products that reduce inflammation, and respiratory infections. I haven’t suffered from a cough for many years so can’t verify the effectiveness of the cough syrup recipe but I can state that if I was suffering – this is definitely something that I would try. I can also state that I have recommended this recepe to many patients and they confirm it really helps.
- 1 cup fresh pineapple (core included as has highest content of Bromelain(ii)
- fresh ginger(iii) – large chunk, at least 3 inches
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp raw honey (manuka would be great!)
Just chuck all the ingredients into a blender and blend.
Take 1/4 cup 2-3 times per day.
Keep in the fridge.
Adjust cayenne pepper to taste, if needed.
Let me know how you get on with this.
For more in depth advice on how to Stay Healthy and Happy through the Winter.
Note: If coughing persists, please visit your GP.
(i) Salt water gargle, does it work? http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/features/does-gargling-wlth-salt-water-ease-a-sore-throat
(ii) Short-term Treatment of Painful osteoarthritis of the Knee With Oral Enyzmes. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/406154
(iii) Ginger uses. http://reference.medscape.com/drug/african-ginger-black-ginger-344468#2